When the marching stops, the organizing begins. So I thought it would be useful to lay out some of the principles that I’ve heard being represented in today’s various demonstrations. I’m sure there are more, but this is a start.
1. Women are human beings and, in that capacity, are deserving of equal rights. This includes the right to control their own bodies.
2. LGBTQ people are also human beings, and, in that capacity, are deserving of equal rights. This includes the right to marry and to use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.
3. We are a diverse nation and our differences are not a threat. We must resist all forms of racism and ensure that all Americans are treated equally.
4. Climate change is caused by human activity. Since we only have one planet, we must immediately address the damage we have done and continue to do through our activities.
5. Income inequality is a threat to social stability. Wages for working people must rise. A healthy and growing middle class is not a naturally occurring phenomenon. It must be cultivated through sensible economic policy.
6. Universal Health Care is enjoyed in every other industrialized nation in the world. It is less expensive than America’s current system and it excludes no one. There is no reason, other than the greed of the insurance industry, for Americans to continue depriving themselves of this very good idea.
Other ideas welcome. Now, let’s get to work.